Friday 14 October 2011

Chiapas Artistry

One of the workers at the orphanage was bemoaning the lack of art in her culture.  After questioning her, I think what she meant was that there was little art typical of traditional European styles.  I found this a very interesting complaint because it says a lot about her definition of art. 

The truth is, I haven't visited an art gallery while here.  I don't know if one even exists in this town.  But what I do know is that the people here certainly have a sense of aesthetics and artistry. 


I've been enjoying simple messages read in their artistry.  For example, the decorations on this house.  It's nothing complicated, but is is life affirming and it's refreshing for me.















This isn't to say, all the art is naive and simplistic.  Mexico has a huge tradition of printmaking and public art in the form of murals.  Here is part of some recent graffiti recognizing The Night of Tlatelolco.



I don't know.  Perhaps, my appreciation and enjoyment is mostly influenced by the contrasts between two vastly different cultures.  Maybe if it was my own culture, I would wish for something from other parts of the world.  Either way, I know my artistic side has been fed while here, despite fasting from art galleries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment